Friday, April 9, 2010

Interesting Avian History

I had a chance to look at this book: “Avian Invasions: The Ecology and Evolution of Exotic Birds.” An avian biologist is studying the transfer of species from one area to another. Amazingly, it didn’t only happen in the 19th and 20th centuries, but also happened centuries ago. It’s full of fascinating facts.

Avian Invasions: The Ecology and Evolution of Exotic Birds (Oxford Avian Biology)I understand the desire to bring familiar birds to one’s own area. I’d enjoy seeing bright red cardinals flitting through Douglas fir trees in Oregon, but I’d never transport them here. I’ve seen the impact that English sparrows have had on Oregon's native blue birds. Starlings, as lovely and intelligent as they are, kill and eat the young of smaller native birds, as well as decimating orchards and gardens. They should have stayed in Europe. They don’t belong on this continent.

I haven’t finished this book yet, but am enjoying the historic facts and figures…things I’d never known before.

Avian Invasions: The Ecology and Evolution of Exotic Birds (Oxford Avian Biology)

No comments: