Sunday, April 11, 2010

Bourke Parakeets or Parrots? Neophema or Neopsephotus?

Thought I'd note that what we call a Bourke Parakeet in the USA is known as a Bourke Parrot in Australia, and sometimes as a Bourke Parrakeet – notice the different spelling with an extra "r" in parakeet. In the UK, they call a Rosy Bourke a Rosa Bourke...that's the spelling shown in the book I own, published in England. I have mentioned it before, but this time I thought I'd look to see if I could find another like it. Mine isn't for sale, but here's a link to one that's available, if you're interested. Mine is a hard copy, I didn't check everything at Amazon. You'll need to do that. My book is only 48 pages.  The book title is a Link: Bourke's Parakeets

Slight differences in names or spelling, but still the same birds. Smile. This is another book I own and enjoy for the varied color photos of parakeets. Not all are as small as the grass parakeets. The book is smaller, but has 384 pages. Notice the spelling difference. My hard bound copy was published in 1979. I'm not sure about the one(s) offered on Amazon. You can check them out yourself if you want to:  Click to Link: Parrakeets of the World 

The Bourke's Parakeet (or Parrot) was recently reclassifed from Neophema Bourkii to Neopsephotus Bourkii for three reasons: Habitat, Taxonomy & difference to other Neophemas. This explains why they have not reproduced with other Neophemas.

Other Neophema Species are:
Scarlet-chested Neophema splendida (also called Splendids)
Elegant Neophema elegans (Elegants)
Turquoise Neophema pulchella (Turquoisines)
Bluewing Neophema chrysostoma &
     Rock Parrot Neophema petrophila

All five varieties are known as GRASS PARAKEETS.

No comments: