Thursday, September 30, 2010

Red Mutations: First Red Factor African Grey Parrot

Hello All!

Lovely scalloped pattern. Red under wings too.
I stumbled upon these photos of a completely red African Grey Parrot and was thoroughly intrigued. So much so, in fact, that I wanted to share them with you. This bird was bred by Hennie Diedericks from South Africa.

Rosy Bourkes were also domestically bred from Normal Bourkes. Maybe someday Red Factor African Grey's will also be available as pets to people all over the world. They're certainly beautiful and desirable! I hope they retain their high level of intelligence and exceptional ability to talk just like their natural wild-colored grey cousins.

First Red Factor African Grey Parrot, 2007.
These photos also led me to search out other beautiful pink or red birds. In upcoming blogs, I'll post photos of pink birds in addition to my Rosy Bourkes and Scarlet-chested parakeets. I'm especially fond of Rose-breasted cockatoos, for instance! However, I've found many unusual varieties, all very interesting to me, and I hope they will be to you too.

Click below to view a film of this amazing red African Grey.


Eyes are dark like other African Greys.








(Update on 8/31/2017:  Apparently You Tube has removed the video link that was originally available. So, I removed it from here too. Enjoy the photos that might not be available elsewhere any longer ... ?)

Peace & Blessings!  

6 comments:

neversink7 said...

That's awesome! I wish I didn't have to colorfeed my redfactor canaries to retain the red color like this African "grey". Thanks for post. It's almost similar to the red bellied, full red fronted, and opaline red mutations in turquoisines although I don't think anyone has a fully red turq yet.

Clive Jeffrey said...

That is quite amazing to see a completely red African Grey Parrot like that! Nature is truly incredible!

Zookeeper said...

Are they color fed like red facter canaries, or are they just red? Either way they are soooo cool and beautiful. Are they still called "African Grey" if they're red? :)

Gail A. Lewis said...

I don't raise African Gray's, but think I can answer this question. The video discusses breeding African Grays that have more red than usual to one another. By genetically breeding for more and more red color, they became successful. The same methods were used to produce Rosy Bourkes from the wild Normal Bourke color of brown with a pink chest.

Maybe they will someday call these beautiful birds "Red African Grays," since African Gray is their name.

Trisha said...

I want one sooooo bad, but I could never afford one. I thought I had found one for $600, but it turned out to be a scam! I hope they catch them!
Patricia Bell

Unknown said...

I want a red factor woohoo bad, but I could never afford one! I thought I had found one for $600, but it was a scam! I hope they catch them! Patricia Bell